Saturday, April 11, 2009

Found Blueberry Plant

Last weekend I was clearing branches from the west side of the house and I found a blueberry plant.  It had the label attached to it and everything.  It's called "Jubilee Blueberry."  After a quick Google search, I learned that Jubilee Blueberries are nutrient-rich medium-sided berries.  The variety comes from Mississippi and unlike northern varieties, this type does not need a significant stretch of cold winter weather.  Portland has mild winters so it totally makes sense that someone would plant this variety here.  It likes acidic, well-drained soil.  I couldn't find anything about desirable sunlight.  Does anyone know what amount of sunlight it prefers?  It's on the west side of my house, but my neighbor's house is right there so it probably doesn't get a whole lot of sun.  Will this be a problem down the road?

1 comment:

  1. huh, chances are that it'll be fine. I mean, its lived there long enough that you didn't know about it, right? ;P

    ReplyDelete